For those interested in G&E Training’s ACS Initial Diploma, to become a skilled and competent Gas Safe engineer, we’ve put the course contents here. It’s important to have some understanding of what you’re going to be learning (and how) before you begin your course.
Applicants are continually assessed as to their aptitude and progress within the course at our Portsmouth training centre. Additionally, candidates are required to study at home, completing various home-study modules. We may also need you to attend extended training sessions subject to the results of your continual assessments and appraisals. We reserve the right to charge you for such training at £150 per day (VAT excluded).
Upon completion of your Diploma assessments, both theory and practical, applicants may start their portfolio. G&E Training is not responsible for the arrangement and completion of your portfolio, only the assessment thereof, after it’s filled out. All portfolio commitments must be organised externally by the applicant.
Once you have been granted your Diploma Certificate, you can begin your Initial ACS assessments at our centre.
Areas that will be covered in the course include:
- Gas Safety Installation and Use Regulations
- Gas Legislation
- Health and Safety at Work act / Asbestos Awareness / Working at Heights
- Risk Assessments and COSHH Assessments / Manual Handling
- Gas Escape Procedures
- Chimney Systems / Ventilation
- Combustion and its Control
- Pressure, Flow, Tightness Testing and Purging
- Domestic Pipe-work Installation
- Electrical Systems, Controls and Components
- Heating System Design, Heat Losses and Comfort Conditions
- Principles and Procedures of Fault Finding
- Carbon Monoxide and CO Alarm Awareness
- RIDDOR (Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations)
- Gas Industry Unsafe Situations Procedures
- Pipework Skills, Pipe Bending, Soldering, and Fittings
- PEB (Protective Equipotential Bonding)
- Hot and Cold Water Systems
- Installation, Servicing and Fault Finding of Central Heating Boilers and Water Heaters (if required)
- Installation, Servicing and Faulting Finding of Cookers (If required)
- Installation, Servicing and Fault Finding of Fires and Room Heaters (if required)
- Installation of Domestic Gas Meters (if required)
- Tools and Equipment Required
- Appliance Commissioning, Registration, Warranties and Manufacturer Information